- Congratulatory Message from Binibining Pilipinas Charities Inc.
- Celebrities Share Their Favorite Disney Memories
- Disney On Ice 2012: Believing is the Beginning
- Behind the Disney On Ice Magic: Making the (Set) Pieces Fall in its Perfect Place
- Mickey Mouse Comes to Manila for Disney on Ice
- Disney On Ice 2012 Meet and Greet at Gateway Mall!
- My Disney On Ice Christmas
- Elton John and Disney Music: A Winning Combination
- My Favorite Elton John Song
- Upper Box B boasts of new seats
- But wait, There's More!
PREMIUM SEATS TO ELTON JOHN CONCERT TO BE RELEASED!
- Holiday Hymns at The Araneta Center
- MERRY MILLIONAIRE: P1 million in cash TAX-FREE up for grabs this Christmas!
- Christmas Comes Early Sale at the Araneta Center
- Nativity scene ushers in the true meaning of Christmas
- Wishes of 8 Disney Princess come True in Disney On Ice
- Araneta Center's Giant Christmas Tree Lights Up November 9
- Dress Me Up goes high fashion for the holidays!
- Spooktacular Treats at the Araneta Center
- Top Fashion Picks at the Araneta Center
- 3-Day Sale on September 28-30 at the Araneta Center!
- My Extreme Transformation for Maroon 5
- Grand Wellness Day for Grandparents at the Araneta Center
- Disney Live! Mickey's Rockin' Road Show Stars Mickey Mouse and Friends Meet Kids at the Araneta Center
- The Big Do's and Don'ts During an Ateneo vs. La Salle Game
- Hop aboard for family fun at the Araneta center for a chance to meet your favorite Disney Characters!
- Party with Katy at Gateway Cineplex 10.
- Big Dome. Big Shows. Big Parking Building.
- It's all about kids at the Araneta Center!
- Araneta Coliseum will remain the 'MECCA' of Philippine Sports & Entertainment
- The Araneta Center offers VIP treatment
- NCAA AND SMART ARANETA SIGN VENUE DEAL
- TicketNet Online: Skip the Line, Go Online
- The Big Dome steps up with Its Extreme Transformation
- Fab Back-to-school Shopping on a Budget
- Grand Santacruzan at the Araneta Center
- 30 Beauties Line Up the Streets of Araneta Center
- Roar into the year of the Dragon at the Araneta Center
- The Best and Biggest Artists make 2012 Brighter at the Big Dome!
Grand Santacruzan at the Araneta Center
Filipinos love fiestas. It is said that every day, there’s a fiesta going on somewhere in the Philippines. One of the most popular fiestas observed in the country is the Santacruzan, or Flores de Mayo. It is traditionally held in the month of May, wherein each town selects beautiful young ladies to become one of the sagalas to parade around town under the different titles of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
On May 5, the Araneta Center will once again come alive with colorful flowers and lovely sagalas in breathtaking gowns in the annual Grand Santacruzan. The event will begin with a Eucharistic Mass at the Smart Araneta Coliseum Quadrant C Activity Area. After the Mass, past and present Binibini queens will line up under their respective “arkos” adorned with fresh blooms and parade the streets around the center.
Among the Binibining Pilipinas queens to grace the annual procession are Miss Universe Philippines 2012 Janine Tugonon, Bb. Pilipinas International 2012 Nicole Schmitz, Bb. Pilipinas Tourism 2012 Katrina Dimaranan, and runners-up Elaine Kay Moll and Annalie Forbes. Former queens, including, Miss Universe 2011 3rd runner-up Shamcey Supsup, Bb. Pilipinas International 2011 Dianne Necio, Bb. Pilipinas Tourism 2011 Isabella Manjon, Miss Universe 2010 4th runner-up Venus Raj, Bb. Pilipians World 2012 Czarina Gatbonton, Miss Universe Philippines 2008 Jennifer Barrientos, Bb. Pilipinas International 2008 Patricia Fernandez, and Bb. Pilipinas World 2008 Janina San Miguel will be joining the reigning queens. Miss Universe 1969 Gloria Diaz will be the Reyna Emperatriz.
Several of this year’s contestants will also participate in the procession, including semifinalist and Ms. Photogenic Karen Gallman, and her fellow semifinalists Patricia Ejercitado, Gina Joy Howell, and Liezl Alcantara.
Stylist Bing Cristobal provided the designer gowns for the sagalas. The sagalas will be wearing Filipiniana gowns made by Jot Losa, Jontie Martinez, Lloyd Arceo, and Philip Tampus.
Participating in the Grand Santacruzan brought back memories of their hometowns’ fiestas for the 2012 queens. Bataan native Janine has fond memories of their town fiestas in Balanga. “Our town fiesta is on May 8. I enjoy the performances in the plaza, the parades, perya rides, and the Santacruzan.” Katrina recalls how she always enjoyed the fiesta in San Juan City, her hometown. “In San Juan in June, yung basaan. People will knock at your door and splash you with water. Okay pa rin ako kahit magpabasa ulit!” she says.
Cebuana beauty Nicole, on the other hand, loves the Sinulog fiestival. “I love how everyone comes together for the Sinulog. There’s loud music everywhere, and there are lots of people. I enjoyed having tribal paint on our faces, street dancing.”
Elaine, who has roots in both Samar and Bicol, has experienced the Peñafrancia festival. “I remember the fluvial procession; everything is in gold, the Bicol express, and laing. I also joined the Santacruzan,” she says. Meanwhile, Annalie, a Bulakenya, fondly remembers the famous feast of Sta. Clara in Obando. “I remember dancing in the parade for four kilometers up to the church to offer flowers. I also like the Sta. Clara fertility dance.” Janine, Nicole, Katrina, Elaine, and Annalie all look forward to participating in this popular and revered tradition.
The annual Grand Santacruzan at the Araneta Center is one of the activities that show just how much fun fiestas can be in the Philippines. This religious and cultural festival will kick off at 4pm with a Mass at the Smart Araneta Coliseum Quadrant C Activity Area. This will be immediately followed by the procession.